Friday, December 31, 2010

Commissioned

I'm kind of a wordnut. Since there is no official definition for wordnut (simply because there is no such word) I will give you my own:

"one crazy about words, one who enjoys looking at definitions and origins."

Now I could call myself a wordsmith but that would make me a liar, defined as "one who lies".

Wordsmith is defined as:

>an expert in the use of words.

>or a person, as a skilled journalist or novelist, whose vocation is writing.

Even though I certainly can't take claim to the first definition of wordsmith I would love to claim the third, using my reasoning that I co-write messages and blogs for Lovely Branches Ministries. However, due to my misuse of words and phrases on many occasions, (many can attest to this) whether verbal or written, I can't even take claim to that.

So I stick to wordnut instead of wordsmith. Just because I enjoy researching the deeper meaning of words doesn't mean I'm an epxert at it, oops I mean expert.

So, where in the world is Edna going with this you may ask? If indeed you have traversed this far with me.

Commission, the Great Commission to be precise. Our main message on the Vine Press page, "Ready, Set, GO" was about our call to the Great Commission from Matthew 28:

‘Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, GO and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.’

No, you will not find the word commission in this profound command from Jesus but you have the principle of commission written all over it.

Below are a few of my thoughts (in green) when I looked up the definition of commission at merriamwebster.com (in blue).

Origin - Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin commission-, commissio act of bringing together, from committere. First Known Use: 14th century

As true followers of Christ we, together with Christ, are on a mission to disciple (train in truth) others, so that they might be fully equipped to follow Him themselves. As mentioned in the Ready, Set GO message it might be referred to as the Great Co-Mission. This is no solo mission, sweet sister. It is one we do in and through Christ.

A task or matter entrusted to one as an agent for another;

Gotta love that word entrusted. ;0) Paul in 2 Timothy 1:14 tells young Timothy, "Guard the good treasure entrusted to you, with the help of the Holy Spirit living in you."

That word entrusted in the Greek is "paratheke" meaning a deposit, a trust or thing consigned to one’s faithful keeping; used of the correct knowledge and pure doctrine of the gospel, to be held firmly and faithfully, and to be conscientiously delivered unto others.

As a follower of Jesus Christ you too have been entrusted with the truths of God's Word. And like Paul and Timothy you are called or commissioned to pass them on to others.

a fee paid to an agent performing a service;

You might be scratching your head on this one. "God doesn't pay us" you might say, "for performing a service for Him." I beg to differ my dear friend. Hebrews 11:6 says, "Without faith it is impossible to please God, for he who comes to God must believe that He exists and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." That word rewarder (in the Greek once again) is "misthapodotes" meaning one who pays wages, a rewarder.

Oh my Goodness! (Here's where the wordnut in me starts to really come out.) God truly does pay us, spiritually speaking, when we perform a service for His kingdom. We know it as a blessing. When we are obedient God blesses our obedience. Let me give you a personal example from yesterday. (I will make this short since I've already used more words then I should be
allowed to use.)

I started my morning with God leading me to Isaiah 6 where Isaiah is approached by God in a vision. God asks Isaiah, in simple terms, "Who will go on my behalf to do my work?" After much trembling and repentance Isaiah says to God, again in simple terms, "I'm the guy. Send me."

This passage, coming on the heals of the the Ready, Set, GO, message sent me to prayer. "God help me to be faithful like Isaiah. Show me those I can minister to." Not necessarily an easy prayer to pray for you never know where God might lead you. But just the same I was compelled by the Holy Spirit to pray it, with much trepidation.

Fast forward a few hours. I'm in a Hutchinson book store aisle looking for a book when a young woman next to me asked about Frances Chan and his book "Crazy Love." At which point I got excited about her interest in this book. (Go to crazylovebook.com and see why.) I eagerly tried to help her find it. Another gal in the same aisle heard our conversation and responded with "I got that book for Christmas. Is it good?" I responded "Oh my goodness. Is it good!?!" Thus, what ensued was a conversation that started about Frances but quickly led to talking about God and His Word. As one of the gal's mom joined us I found myself encouraging these sisters in Christ in various ways. Anyone who knows me knows I am not a quiet person, yet in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "Edna, you might need to tone this down a bit. Not everyone in the store is a believer. They might boot you out of here." I considered that was probably my flesh speaking. And yet there was another voice who encouraged me to be faithful at all costs. That was probably the Holy Spirit speaking. ( I have to admit I am more prone to obeying my flesh voice instead of the still small voice of the Holy Spirit.) However this time I obeyed and I walked away rewarded.

By that God orchestrated encounter I felt God's good pleasure for being faithful to encourage these women. I felt rewarded by the blessing of their desire to know God at a deeper level and especially blessed by these new relationships with other sisters in Christ. (Kala, Elizabeth and Sarah, email me. Next time we will find a cozy little table and sip some coffee while we visit, instead of standing in the aisles.)

So, now I encourage you, the one reading this blog. If you have trusted Christ with your heart, soul and life then know you have been entrusted with His truths. And as His agent, together with His Spirit, you have been commissioned to go on His behalf. Imagine the rewards and blessings you'll receive, just for being faithful.

posted by Edna

Who Is Jesus, Really? Check out the video below by David Nasser entitled "Why Jesus?". If interested in joining our study starting January 20th go to the Rooted & Grounded page at lovelybranchesministries.org for all the details.











No comments:

Post a Comment